Facebook announced the roll out of Canvas in February and marketers are quickly trying to learn more about it. Canvas is currently being hailed as the evolution of mobile advertising. Our mission is to learn more about Facebook Canvas and start exploring the possibilities for our clients.
Let’s start by answering this common question: What is Facebook Canvas?
“Facebook Canvas is an immersive and expressive experience on Facebook for businesses to tell their stories and showcase their products,” from Facebook themselves, but our thoughts extend further than that. Here is an example from Gatorade.
Canvas makes it easier for low-power mobile sites to put out content by creating an easy to design area specifically for high quality and engaging ads. It’s more than immersive, it’s pretty awesome. Brands have the opportunity to add animations, carousels, product catalogs, tilt-to view images, videos, and of course some text.
Best of all: Brands can do all of this without any coding. Canvas is a complete self-serve tool that can be built within Facebook. As we like to say, “it’s almost plug and play.” Canvas allows brands to truly dive into their own creative sphere, and create the ad that will encompass everything that not only tells their story, but will catch the users’ attention as well.
Even better: Facebook says early testing of Canvas shows users want to experience more of the ad than when in other formats, such as video. 53% of users that open a canvas view at least half of it, and the average view time is 31 seconds.
Here Are 7 Reasons Why You Should Use Facebook Canvas
It’s fast: A Canvas is built into Facebook itself, so once it is clicked on, the user does not navigate to a different website. It can be up to 10x faster than an external link would be. Instead of giving up while waiting to load and going back to Facebook, users will see the ad on their phone right away without having to go to a different app.
- More engaging: Facebook Canvas is more engaging for both the person creating the ad and the person watching it. Brands have the opportunity to tell their story the way they want with an array of options. Users can watch video, swipe through products, swipe through images, and tilt to look at different areas of a video or an image.
- Captures the users’ attention: They do more than provide a new creative element to ads in order to gain the users’ focus. Once clicked, a Canvas ad goes full-screen. This keeps users away from their distracting newsfeed or the temptation to continue scrolling. It also allows brands to showcase much more in a mobile ad while spending the same amount of money.
- It’s simple: No coding or web design is required. You use the components that you think will tell your story the best. All you need to create a great Canvas is a creative spirit.
- Tell your story, the way you want: Options include: Video, Image, Text, Product catalogs, Button, and Carousel. Within those are more options such as ‘tilt to pan.’ With so many options, you have the opportunity to create the canvas that shares your brand story the best way.
- It’s multi-functional: You can add all of the above into your Canvas, just one Canvas. You don’t need to create multiple that will have video, images, and text separately.
- Call to action: Don’t leave your viewer on the cliff. Use a button that will encourage them to visit your website and do some shopping.
What Are The Results Like?
Several companies have been a part of the testing phase and have reported some pretty fantastic results. Carnival Cruise Lines launched their campaign with the goal of “show, not tell.” They wanted to show people the perks of going on a five day Caribbean cruise in an entertaining and interactive way. The results:
- Average Canvas view time: 135.56 – 173.95 seconds
- Average Canvas view percentage: 66.4% – 71.9%
- 30% lift in view-to-completion rates compared to traditional video ads
- 10x longer average user engagement with Canvas than with other ads
Asus created a Canvas with the theme “end bad gifts.” The results:
- 42% increase in clicks on their ad
- Average view time: 12 seconds
- 70% of the people who clicked the Canvas ad went to the ASUS website afterwards
Are You Excited?
We are excited to see an ad experience that both brands and consumers can engage with. The possibilities for using Facebook Canvas are endless. No matter what your goal might be: raise awareness, drive traffic, convert sales, share your website; the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Since this ad format is new, users might be more inclined to check it out while brands are still figuring out how to use it. Be one of the first to get your brand’s voice heard. We are beginning to work on Facebook Canvas and trial it for our clients. You should join them. Contact us today to see how a Facebook Canvas can help you achieve your campaign goals.
For more Canvas examples click here.